THE STATION HOUSE building is steeped in history, having previously spent most of its life as Henley’s police station. In 1856, the County Constabulary was formed and in 1868, two houses that stood on the site were purchased and extensively modified to form the police station under direction of William Wilkinson. By the 1890’s, Thomas Jennings, Woodstock Station’s Inspector at the time relocated to Henley and assisted by two sergeants and fifteen constables, spent much of his time dealing with various disputes in the town’s numerous drinking establishments. He subsequently moved away from the town and Henley’s police station was later relocated in 2004 leaving its original cells which are still present in the pub today.
(Source: Henley on Thames Through Time by Elizabeth Hazeldine)